Thank you for your interest in working at The Writing Center at Detroit Mercy. Please read below to learn about what we do and how you can apply.
What We Do
We work with students on writing at any stage and in any form. We can brainstorm ideas for an assignment, look through a final draft and work on most everything in between. From start to finish, anywhere on the spectrum of student writing, we are here to provide support.
As we consult, we:
- Ask writers lots of questions about what they are trying to achieve.
- Share the ways in which we interpret their writing and give suggestions that may help bridge any gaps in understanding.
- Point out places where something doesn't sound quite right or where conventions are broken.
- Anticipate what readers might expect and help students with the rules of academic writing.
- Share resources students may not have known existed.
- Break a sense of isolation that can be a problem for even the best of writers.
The result we hope for is increased confidence on the part of students and more complex ways of thinking about writing.
How to apply
If this sounds up your alley, please fill out an application, and attach your resume, and a writing sample.
Applications are continuously reviewed but hiring typically takes place only in fall semester.